Updated: 26th June, 2009 -

Below is a Report on the recent Consultative Meeting held on 10th June, 2009 during the PSUK Dinghy Sailing Championships.

Consultative Meeting

17.00hrs 10th June, 2009 at Netley Sailing Club

– These are not the Minutes….

The first Consultative Meeting of the PSUK Dinghy Championships was held at Netley Sailing Club on Wednesday, 10th June, 2009. This meeting replaces the previous AGM's and matters discussed go forward for review and consideration at the PSUK Sailing Section AGM which is held each Autumn, for any decisions/recommendations to be made. Stuart Jenkins chaired the meeting. Andy Taverner took the minutes. Sara Thornton, Chair of the PSUK Sailing Section also sat at the top table. A large number of competitors from various Forces were also present.

Below is a report on the meeting:-

Stuart Jenkins reported that Financial assistance has been received from PSUK to support British Police representation in National regattas by last year's winners - Paul Heath (GMP) who will compete in the Laser Inland Masters ( Queen Mary SC 17/18 October) and Frances Gifford with Pete Walker (Met) who will compete in the  Merlin Rocket Week (Salcombe 11th-17th July).

This year's winners, if they don't take the representation up during 2010, the opportunity moves to the boats who were second, etc. this year.

At this year's championship there were items sponsored from Impac and every competitor received a vacuum mug whilst Pinnell & Bax provided items for the Raffle to raise money in aid of the Anthony Nolan Trust. PSUK does support the principle of obtaining sponsorship for events. The (Met) hosts suggested that the best way forward for sponsorship was to have a recognised charity linked to the event which would then encourage sponsors to support the event.

Stuart also reported on the changes to the PSUK Sailing Constitution Rules which - for those not already in the know - amalgamates the previously somewhat separate Offshore and Dinghy Sections under one umbrella and one set of Rules. Where there are differences (e.g., types of boats sailed), these are highlighted within the one set of Rules. The purpose of the Consultative Meetings is to air matters for discussion, whilst any decisions to be made, for either discipline, lay with the PSUK Sailing Committee.

Thus the PSUK Sailing Committee comprises, a Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, co-opted members, Regional Representatives. Also the Organiser of the ( both Offshore & Dinghy) championships is co-opted onto the Sailing Committee for at least a year before, to the year after the event, in order to report back.

Regional Representation. As with all other PSUK sports, the parent PSUK is keen that the Sailing Committee co-opt Regional Representatives. These, ideally to cover both disciplines. Currently we have a number of Regional Reps and as a result of this meeting others have now been considered for inclusion in the list as follows:


Region Representative Constituent Forces
North West Paul Heath (GMP) Cheshire, Cumbria, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyside
North East Tony Riordan (Cleveland) Cleveland, Durham, Humberside, Northumbria, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire
East Midlands Pete Walters (Notts) Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire
West Midlands Ian Ingram (West Midlands) Staffordshire, Warwickshire, West Mercia, West Midlands
Eastern   Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk
South East Terry Clothier (Sussex) Hampshire, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley, City of London
South West Graham Higginson (D&C) Avon and Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, Dorset, Gloucestershire, Wiltshire
Metropolitan Stuart Jenkins Metropolitan
Wales   Dyfed Powys, Gwent, North Wales, South Wales
Scotland Stuart Stratton (Strathclyde) Central Scotland, Dumfries and Galloway, Fife, Grampian, Lothian and Borders, Northern, Strathclyde, Tayside
Northern Ireland   The Police Service of Northern Ireland
British Transport Police   British Transport Police Nationwide

Stuart reported that this year's Championships had 14 entries in the Laser (they budgeted on 12) and 27 for the main event which was also on budget. Eight people were on his Organising Committee also a Support Team to deal with guests arriving and recovery of boats which worked well plus support from Netley SC. He was thanked for all the efforts made. The general lack of comment was interpreted as a sign of approval..

Future PSUK Dinghy Sailing Championships:
2010 – Avon & Somerset. Bob Lowrie reported that they are planning for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9/10/11th June, 2010 at Chew Valley Lake (they were waiting on decisions from authorities involved but the dates are now confirmed [RAS 17/6/09]). Some discussion took place regarding a change of the days but Tuesday clashes with club events. The Organisers are planning to have an early start on the Friday to get travellers on their way by 1pm. Key Organisers = Bob Lowrie/Jeff Stratford.

2011 – Leicestershire: Phil Tomaszewski reported all is in-hand for the event to be run at Rutland Sailing Club. Phil will be the nominal contact name at this stage.

2012 – West Midlands. Olympic Year. Draycote Water. There are some thoughts on changing the dates to September - the dates will definitely need to be changed. This may affect the dates other Force Open regattas.

Nick Hunt took the opportunity to suggest a permanent change to the dates as the Dinghy Champs (currently held in mid June) are so close to the Offshore Champs (mid May). There have been previous discussions on the matter; in 2007 the general consensus had been to leave the dates where they are. Andy Taverner suggested that maybe Leicestershire (2011) should look at a mid-September date, Phil to contact Rutland who may already have events being held in September, then report back to the Regional Rep (Pete Walters) with a view to bringing the matter up at the PSUK Sailing Section AGM planned to be held in October.

2013 - Awaits. A number of Forces were suggested but most had either run the event in recent years or their Forces/Sections were not strong enough to consider hosting. Stuart reminded forces that financial support was available from PSUK. Northumbria (Derwent Water) was suggested and, in the light that 2013 is some years ahead, that they should be approached.

Roger Glass brought up Awards for Excellence. The criteria can be varied but Pete Walters has been put forward for an Award having won consecutive PSUK Offshore Sailing Championships. Nominations had to be in by March. Roger wondered if we should be 'raising our profile' in respect of our Dinghy Championships. Some research required to ascertain whether we have suitable candidates past or present. Ms Thornton pointed out that at the PSUK AGM held in May just two awards were made; one to the Tennis Section and one to the Fly-fishing Section. She also confirmed that Pete Walters' name went in; no-one was aware if that was the end of the matter as no award had been made to Pete. Stuart Jenkins to make enquiries of Neil Braithwaite.
A propos of this Roger suggested that research be made of the dinghy results with a view to identifying further suitable candidates in time for the October AGM. Dick Sivers will deal with this.

Martyn Dearsley enquired how the entry fees are decided (very expensive this year) and wondered whether the cost was putting off new entries. Most Forces provide financial support. There did not appear to be a way of attracting further entries by a discount to say, first-time entrants. Host forces need to cover their costs and it's up to that particular Force to decide what fees to charge.

The meeting was then closed.

The content of the above report taken by the author
is not intended to be the official minutes of the meeting,
but published merely to provide prompt information for those interested in such matters but unable to attend.
R.S. 26/6/09