Use the '[Top]' link (bottom right) to return to top of this page


This Newsletter of the Metropolitan Police Sailing Club was originally circulated in March, 1983

Contents include:       Editorial by 'Sidewinder'

Reports & Results of the following regattas...

Nottinghamshire Police Regatta - 1982

Kent Police Regatta - 1982

British Police Laser Sailing Champs - 1982

Northamptonshire Police Regatta - 1982

South Wales Police Regatta - 1982

Plus - Articles

The Three Peaks Race 1982

The Tall Ships Race 1983





Hon. Sec: John Burbeck (Det/Insp)
Holborn Police Station
70 Theobalds Road,
London WC1X 8SD
  Editor: Len Gooch (PC)
Surbiton Police Garage
Hollyfield Road

, Surrey




Commodore: Deputy Assistant Commissioner J A Dellow, O.B.E.
Vice Commodore: Chief Inspector Dan Glen (Cadet Centre)
Hon. Secretary: Detective Inspector John Burbeck (EO)
Asst. Secretary: Inspector Dave Thomson (FF)
Press Secretary: PC 480 Q Clive Bishop (QD)
Rear Commodore:
PC 295 Q Ross Elliston (QH)   Rear Commodore:
PC 425 AD John Stickland
(IW) R.Y.A. Rep.
Secretary: Ch Inspector Peter Moore (CO.B2) + PAA Rep   Secretary: Insp. Dave Thomson (FF)
Committee: PC 232Z Roger Glass (ZW)   Crewing Sec.: WPC 273X Lesley Goddard (XU)
  PC 907 TD Len Gooch   Committee: DS John Williams (CO.C11)
  PC 480Q Clive Bishop (QD)     PC 439B Tim Bewicke (BH)
        PS 13X Steve Fillery (XS)

- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -

Editorial                                    Spring, 1983

Do not be worried by what you see printed above. The club is not splitting in two. All members are members of both sections. In view of the interest shown in offshore sailing it was felt at the A.G.M. that a few new offices would not go amiss, andin fact, might help when dealing with other clubs outside The Job and with Charter firms. Mainly, it is the same old faces wearing some new caps.

Membership of the sailing club is on the increase, thanks mainly to the 'offshore members'. Lists of forthcoming events and attractions have been distributed and membership fees have been collected. So 1983 looks like being a very good year.

page 2

If you have not already received a draft programme for 1983 of the Contessa 32 Class and you are interested in having a go at Offshore sailing then get in touch with Lesley Goddard at XU. She has close contacts with that class and states that crews are always required. Those that do not wish to race, but would like to try something a little less strenuous, can also get in touch with Lesley. She hopes that some cruising weekends can be arranged if there is enough interest shown.

John Stickland and his team are planning to have another go at the Three Peaks Race this year. You can read of his adventures further on in the magazine, of last year's attempt. This year he hopes to have a much shallower craft, with only an outboard motor to worry about.

The 1982 Annual General Meeting of the Sailing Section of the M.P.A.A. was held on the 15th December, at C.O. 18 members attended. Paul Skerman, from the Sussex Police came along on invitation to give the views of the County police forces with regard to police sailing. A large contingent of the members were interested in offshore sailing.

Early in the meeting it was suggested that a Rear Commodore be elected for both the dinghy sailors and the 'blue water' sailors. This did not infer that they wanted to split away from the inshore fleet. But there appeared to be enough people now that wanted to go to sea to have their interests looked after by their own committee and officers. However, it was emphasized that all Members of the club are automatically members of both sections. Ross Elliston was elected Rear Commodore for Dinghies, and John Stickland was elected Rear Commodore for Offshore. The other elected officers of the club can be seen on the opposite page.

The former club boat, an Enterprise has been sold and the MPAA has given the go-ahead to purchase a new Laser, launching trolley, roof-rack and life jacket, up to 1,000. So, we should have a complete package, for anyone that wants to sail, but does not have his own boat. Further details will by published when the boat is ready for use.

Because of the offshore interest and the amount of money being spent on chartering boats for members' use, it was suggested that it might be worthwhile for the PAA to purchase a larger boat as well. A well argued case was put by John Stickland to that effect. He stated that if we did have a cruiser it might be possible to berth it at the Joint Services Sailing Club, at Gosport. However, this was quite a big bite for the meeting to swallow and they voted that it would be better for our case if accurate accounts were kept of monies spent on chartering throughout 1983, and also a study be done on berthing and maintenance costs of such a boat. A report could then be submitted to the MPAA. John did quote that 2,400 was spent on hiring "ZAP", the boat that was raced by the MPSC last year.

Lesley Goddard volunteered to set up a crewing register for those members willing and able to crew on offshore boat throughout 1983.

Getting hold of charts for offshore sailing can be a bit of a problem. It was suggested that the sailing club set up its own chart 'pool'. Alistair Kerr, Superintendent at HH, has offered to look after such a pool, and rashly said that he would try and keep them up to date. If you have any charts to put into the pool, or you want to borrow some, than he is the man to contact.

John Stickland is having some cruising burgees made up for the club. They are dark blue in colour with the Met coat of arms printed thereon in white. If you do not want one for your boat, they will make good presentation presents. They will cost about 7.

The MPSC are to be the hosts for the 1984 PAA Dinghy Sailing Championships. They will probably be held at Queen Mary Sailing Club at Ashford, Middlesex. Peter Moore, our PAA rep., is busy trying to work out a social programme for this event.

page 3


event. /
The championships are held over two days, and the provisional dates are the 4th and 5th June 1984. Assistance will be required in running the event. If anyone is willing to help, in whatever capacity, please contact Peter Moore or John Burbeck. More information will be given out nearer the date.

Roger Glass, our most travelled member of the dinghy fraternity for 1982, has asked whether the MPAA would pay the entry fee to police sailing events (non-PAA events) and also pay something towards the travelling expenses. Unlike other sports where the participants can travel together by coach or train, the dinghy sailor is forced to use private transport in order to tow/carry his boat. The dinghy sailor also spends much longer competing (not like a rugby or football match) and therefore also has to spend money on overnight accommodation in many events, as well as taking 12 or more hours getting to the location, participating, and then getting home again. Most of our County colleagues appear to get expenses for entries and travelling. Dan Glen and John Burbeck pointed out that this is a question that has been asked many times before, without success. However, John would put the case before the MPAA once again. But it might be a good idea if all those who do travel about the country taking part in police open meetings keep a note of their mileage, expenses and entry fees for 1983. If we can put a good enough case before the 'powers that be' then something may get done.

Paul Skerman, of the Sussex Police, commented on the lack of entrants in the County Police Regattas. He was not sure whether it was just a lack of interest or a lack of money. Travelling to these events was certainly becoming more and more expensive. He suggested that it might be better to keep such events out of the peak holiday periods (Sussex normally hold theirs in August). Sussex hope to hold their open meeting during September this year. Another suggestion was for two Forces to get together and hold a combined regatta, maybe each taking it in turns to host the meeting. Whatever they do decide, it does help everyone if they can publish their dates as early as possible. This allows us to keep those dates clear of court dates and to arrange time off. It also stops too many date clashes between different regattas.

The Secretary of the Sussex Police Sailing Club this year is Chris Willcock. He can be contacted at the Police Station, John Street, Brighton.

Mike Riley, of the Devon and Cornwall Police, took a leaf out of Roger Glass's book and bought himself a new Laser at the end of last season. He was first seen in it at the South Wales Police Regatta. Mike must have thought that it was worth every penny when he beat Roger and won the first prize. Roger came second, by the way. So there sould be some sparks flying between those two in 83.

I have not received a report on the first Devon and Cornwall Police Open Meeting, which was to be held last October, so I cannot give you the results. If Mike Riley reads this perhaps he would like to sent me a short report on it.

There should be seen a new Merlin Rocket in the hands of John Allen, of the Nottinghamshire Police this year. He tells me that he is having one built. He is hoping to be able to challenge the Burbecks and his colleague John Neaverson at their own game.

John Neaverson has recently been promoted to Inspector, and has been posted to Meadows Police Station in Nottingham. It just so happens that John Allen, Simon Gathercole and Nigel Jackson, all members of the police sailing club, are stationed there (wheels within wheels!). I hope that they are not all on the same relief.

I wish all our readers fair winds and good sailing in 1983.


page 4


The desire to enter the Three Peaks Race was originally kindled by seeing it one Bank Holiday, by watching the 1980 race on television. That year was busy for me and the whole thing was pushed into the recesses of my mind until in June last year, two of my friends, Tony and Jan, rekindled the race and my wish to compete.

Tony, who has marshalled on most of the races, showed me pictures of the '81 event and commented, "Why don't you have a go?" I gave the project some thought and during the '81 Fastnet the die was cast. I would do the 1982 Three Peaks Race. With that thought in mind I set about the task, first a place, then a boat. With a place secured and boat found, the job of reports to the Commodore of the Metropolitan
Police Sailing Club and the seeking of official blessing. This, of course, did not come, but later the Force was of great assistance.

Next the crew. I talked to my navigator, Keith BATEMAN, who jumped at the chance and as I planned the race with Keith, an old friend of his, John PECK, a running enthusiast, phoned and asked Keith about the Three Peaks Race. He was told that plans were afoot and in an advanced stage, but not on the running side. John contacted me and his enthusiasm for the Race came over to me, so I asked him to meet me. This agreed, I made arrangements for the interested parties to come to my home on Thursday 26th of November to watch the video recording and to meet me and Flight Lieutenant LEWINS of the RAF 1980 and '81 teams; a very keen runner. Terry came, and the whole evening went well. Everybody was as keen as mustard.

By January '82 the yacht had been chartered, a running squad was in training and charts had been ordered. Pilot books borrowed and the thousand and one things were under way. In March Keith and I went on a reconnaissance trip to Barmouth, Caernarvon and the Swilles. The following day it was to Ravensglass. Here Keith and I walked the river to the Bar at low water, photographing, sketching and taking bearings of this tricky place. With this done we came home. This was March and it still seemed a long way off, but that time soon went. It flashed by. The yacht I had chartered was one I had not sailed, so I booked for the JOG Race to Fecamp and with a scratch crew, made a pleasant and instructive weekend, learning about ZAP, the Oyster 37, that we had chartered for the race.

The problem of getting the yacht into position, and the logistics occupied a great deal of spare time. John PECK and his runners were hard at it, all entering the London Marathon, the Thanet Marathon and others, also making a night run over the Snowdon Course. The time was getting shorter and the work still kept coming - sailing clothes for the crew, vehicles for the support crew, members of the support crew's food, and the delivery trip. For this, I was to be the skipper, and for the Race. Leave to be organised - nothing left to chance as I was to be away by the 1st of June to get the yacht to the start at Barmouth. All was now done. The last minute bits had been arranged and it was 1st June.

The delivery was a bit of a nightmare. The weather was foul in the Channel; thick fog and a long way to go. We sailed the first leg to Alderney, then to Dartmouth via Lyme Bay, then Dartmouth to Milford Haven. A lot of this was on the motor because of the lack of wind. The final leg to Barmouth was, sailed to Fishguard, then under power the rest of the way, arriving at Barmouth on Wednesday 9th June. We had made it!

The following day the passage crew disembarked and the work of preparing the yacht began in earnest. All day Thursday and Friday we worked at all the last minute things that have to be done. On Saturday, the day of the race, the crew were all aboard making the most of the time. John PECK and I went to the briefing in the Merrioneth Yacht Club for the final pre-race briefing. Here we were told that some buoys at Cearnarfon had moved, and some were out, and certain paths on the mountains were out of bounds due to dry weather. The briefing ended and we all rejoined aboard our yachts as we only had one hour before slipping.

page 5

On my arrival I saw Mr DELLOW, who had travelled up to see us off at the start. This was very much appreciated by all of us on board and the back-up parties.

At 1230 hours we slipped our buoy and headed out to the start line. The whole place had a carnival atmosphere about it. We moved out into the bay and got our sails set and ready for the off. We crossed the line and headed out towards St Patricks Causeway. Ahead was Sam POOLE in SAMFIRE, followed by MERSEY BEAT and the two Sigmas and us. As we neared the causeway the navigator made the point that on a falling tide it was unwise to attempt going over without local knowledge. So with that in mind I was forced to run down the causeway. This we did, making very good time. Some of the other yachts made the same decision on towards Bardsey Sound.

As we neared this, the wind dropped and we were forced to row for the shore to pick up the offshore breezes. Soon we picked them up and headed into the Sound with 6 knots of tide with us and the breeze to help. The passage through was exhilarating as we sped into the darkness at 10 knots. In minutes we were through to the other side. We then made for Caernarvon Bar and Snowdon - our first goal. The navigator said that to make the bar with sufficient water we had to cross at 0630 hours the latest. But the wind dropped for us and then freshened and veered, so we fought our way to the bar only to arrive late, and at 0730 hours we went into Pilots Cove under sail and anchored and watched the leading boats coming out over the bar. PAPPERGANO got caught and broached but managed to get out after some trouble. At 1100 hours we weighed anchor and sailed for the bar. This we achieved without too much heartache. Soon the Mussel Bank buoy and the engine could be started. We motored into the Pier at Caernarfon and disembarked our runners. Then we watered ship and went to anchor in the roads. Twice the anchor failed to hold. Eventually we went back to the pier to await the runners' return. They appeared looking all in. As soon as they were aboard we sailed. Yes!

We made it on the one tide. With the motor at full throttle, we raced for the Mussel Bank buoy. With the tide falling, it would be a tight squeeze to make the open sea. As we sailed up the Channel it was a nerve-wracking experience as the pilot called the depth - then out into deep water and the race to Ravensglass, the long way round. The wind backed and started to drop late that evening. I rounded the South Stack, and with very light airs, I handed the wheel to John PECK. Then John lost it and we were swept back around by the tide, to start rounding it again. I could have shot him!

As the wind dropped away, and there was nothing else for it but to row,_ and row we did, for most of the night, with the tide pushing us back and forth. That night seemed very long ! With the coming of the morning the breeze came back - although fickle - and so it remained for most of the day, until about 3 pm, when the catspaws of wind came at last. ZAP began to move, slowly at first, towards our goal, Ravensglass. Inshore, one of the other boats, ANGELIC, had made some progress and had a small lead, but the wind came back in Morecambe Bay and soon we had our spinnaker set. As we head for Ravensglass the navigator came up and said that at this speed we would make the 5 am high water, so we could enter Ravensglass. But, alas, the wind began to drop away and by 0400 hours we knew that that high tide was out of our reach, but steadily we plodded doggedly on.

By 11 am we had anchored off Ravensglass to await the afternoon high tide. At 5 pm we weighed anchor and started the run into Ravensglass. I took the wheel and the navigator took the con. The photographs we had taken in March began to show their worth as we crossed the bar and headed for the landing point. Other yachts were on their way out, but soon we made the point to drop off John PECK and Trog ROYALE for the ascent of Scarfell Pike. With both gone and Spike rowing them ashore, the time was close for the weather forecast - and that had a lot of bad news. The weather was deteriorating, with a local gale on the way - force 8. I could not remain in Ravensglass, as the harbour dries out. So we recovered the dinghy and Spike, also some supplies for the support team, and we up-anchored and headed out to sea, to re-anchor outside the harbour. Here, Spike, Keith and I prepared the yacht for heavy weather, battening down all the hatches and getting the canvas off her, three reefs in the main, and working jib on deck and storm jib handy, if required. The wind and sea were now beginning to build. So we ate, and Spike and I rested, whilst Keith kept an anchor watch.

page 6

At 2115 hours the weather worsened, and with 35 knots of wind over the deck, it was time to leave. The anchor, a Bruce, had held us snugly with no movement. I started the engine and motored up to the anchor warp. Spike and Keith brought some 6 fathoms on deck and cheated off, so that I could motor up again. But I could not get sufficient power (I thought that this was due to the wind). As the anchor would not come up, there was nothing for it but to slip the anchor and buoy it off for collection, later on after the gale had abated. With the rain sail set, I sailed the yacht off the lee shore and headed out into Morecambe Bay. Spike and Keith set the working jib, which, in the weather conditions, proved a very exhausting exercise, with us being so short handed. The night was dirty, but the visibility was quite good. We set ZAP on a course for the Isle of Man, and, after one hour, we turned back on a reciprocal course until the light on St Bees Head was obscured - which put us 2 miles offshore. Again, here we went about and headed back out. This we did by midnight. I had been at the wheel since we slipped the anchor.

The weather appeared to be getting better. The wind speed indicator showed 20-25 knots of wind, with occasional gusts of 30. The sea appeared to be moderating. I asked Spike to take the helm while I went below for the weather forecasts, and take the opportunity of calling Ramsey Coast Guard. They were most helpful, and confirmed that the weather was abating and southerly cone was down. I heard the forecast and started to make a hot drink for us all. I called the pilot and we put back towards the coast. I took the helm and Spike went off to sleep. Keith looked at the chart and came up on deck and relieved me at helm. And so together we sailed the boat back and forth. By 0200 hours I just had to sleep. So Spike came up and I went down - and collapsed as I stood on the berth and slept until I was called at 0330 hours and came on deck. The weather had improved and the Calder Power Station was visible to port.

The wind was almost gone as the first front moved further, away from us. The leaders were getting the benefit up off the Mull of Galloway. Keith went off to bed. We were making slow progress towards the coast. By 4.30 the wind had died completely. So Spike and I started to get the sail off as we wallowed in the swell. On completion, we squared away the upper deck and started the engine - as by this time we had drifted in towards the shore, with the heavy swell left from the gale. It was time to start the engine and motor back to Ravensglass, collect the anchor, make the entry over the bar and collect our two runners, John and Trog. With the motor running, I put it into gear, and we did not move. I tried it again - maybe the folding propeller had not opened. No - we still did not move. Spike then started to check over the engine and the controls and could find nothing. Suddenly Spike looked at the shaft and saw it rotating. It had to be the propeller. I called Keith and explained that we had possibly a fouled propeller. He then volunteered to go over the side - with a face mask and knife - and try and cut it away and free the propeller. With a line securing him, he entered the water. As the shaft is quite close to the surface, he was able to feel it with his feet. Suddenly he said, "John. I can't feel the propeller." "Don't tell me that it's fallen off," I said. With that, Keith, dived to look. A few seconds later, a somewhat cold Keith appeared and said, " You're not going to believe it. The propeller's gone". "It can't have. What did you see ?" I asked. He replied, "I saw a large lump on the end of the shaft with a slot in and a hole." "Oh no ! The bloody blades have fallen out. "So that is that!" I wailed. Together we hauled him over the stern and into the cockpit.

By this time he was very cold. So we got him below, dried him off, lent him some dry kit to put on, and stuck him in a sleeping bag. The cold had got to him. I made him a hot drink and went over to the radio. I called Ramsey Coast Guard on Channel 16, and asked for safety traffic on 67, and changed up. I didn't want all and sundry knowing, as someone may have looked at as salvage. I then spoke to the Coast Guard and said, "We are approximately 2 miles off the Drigg Rocks, with no wind, no main anchor, and the blades have fallen out of the folding propeller, and I am drifting in towards the rocks on the swell and tide". "Wait," came the reply. He then came back on, "Range and bearing nearest land.?" "Wait", I replied, and went on deck with the hand compass and took a bearing of Calder Hall Power Station left-hand cooling tower.

page 7

The Coast Guard came back on and said, " Are you in a Mayday or Pan situation ?" I looked out and replied, " Certainly not a Mayday, but in half an hour to an hour I shall be in a Pan situation if we continue on drifting towards the Drigg Rocks". "Wait". After a few minutes he came back on again and said, "We are launching the St Bees lifeboat to stand by you. Maintain listening watch Channel 16." This I did, sitting in the cockpit. Spike, in the meantime, set about a hot drink and some feed for us, whilst we waited. Eventually we saw it, a small three-man inshore rescue boat. We were all very pleased and relieved as she came alongside. With them alongside to hold us, we put out the kedge anchor, and it held us. It was now 6 am and we should have been entering Ravensglass. We could see some of the yachts coming out over the bar. We wondered just how John and Trog were feeling; waiting for us.

As the St Bees were unable to tow us, they radioed in, and the Workington Life Boat was launched and came down to us, and towed us to Workington, where we arrived at 11.30. There were quite a few people on the jetty, some taking pictures. As soon as we had secured outside of the lock gates, reporters started shouting down. Eventually, we managed to get ZAP in alongside, by a ladder. On coming up, we seemed to be besieged by Press and T.V., wanting to know what happened. Being very tired, I could not understand the interest until I was told we had been on the National News, and later in the Press and on some TV newscasts. I don't know why, but we were news! But soon they left, and we got down to the problem of getting the boat fixed. The support team had located a replacement propeller, with the aid of Oyster Marine and the coast guard, Ken RUSSELL had got us a diver to do the work. The replacement was found, and as luck would have it, the lady in charge of the firm's department had a daughter who worked at The Yard, and had worked in a department in which John PECK had been - and knew him. This helped a good deal. By now I really felt tired and needed a bath, and a phone. Ken RUSSELL came to our aid, and we went to his home where he looked after us very well.

By 4.30 pm I had got hold of the owner's agent, and the new propeller was being dispatched by Securicor, and would be with us by 8 am, Thursday morning. So, although the race was over for us, I would get this boat to Fort William for the return trip crew. After a good sleep, John PECK, myself and Larry LAMBERT went out to dinner, the others having gone back with the support team to Ravensglass. Keith had gone to get the anchor, which was where we had left it buoyed. We were all bitterly disappointed at what had happened - all through a mechanical fault - over which I had no control. The following day the propeller arrived and by the dint of hard work, the diver, a local garage owner, had fixed it by noon. The support crew wanted to go on to the finish. Spike and Trog wanted to go so they could at least run the mountain. Larry volunteered to come on the last leg, as no one thought we could get there in time to beat the time clause of 72 hours after the first boat had finished.

I knew I could not leave Workington until 8 pm, when the dock gates opened. So with my blessing, off they went with messages for those at Fort William. The 6 pm weather forecast was that we should have gale force winds that night from the SW, decreasing later. The lock gates opened, and out we went, and headed towards the Mull of Galloway. The wind was light, force 3, and the sea was slight. We passed the outer buoy at 8.30 pm and as the evening drew on, the wind increased. By midnight, it was force 7 to 8 and we were closing the Mull of Kintyre. We were going well. We reduced sail before midnight, but by 4 am another sail change was necessary as the wind was very strong and we began to make heavy weather of it. So I reduced sail to 3 slabs in the main, and the storm jib.

We settled down and began to fly, surfing over the waves. It was now light, and we could see the Scottish coast away to starboard. At noon on Friday we could see the Rathlin Island and the entrance to Belfast. We were making very good time indeed, really eating up the miles. At 4.30 we entered the Sound of Islay. At 6 pm we were one mile north, having passed through the Sound on our way towards the Isle of Mull. The gale had blown itself out, the sea was abating and the wind was down to force 4. We had taken out the reefs and hoisted No.1 jib. By midnight, we had closed the Isle of Mull and turned along the Firth of Lorne, and headed for Loch Linnie and Fort William.

page 8

I knew that others were ahead of us. I had heard on the radio that some yachts were having difficulties in getting through the Corrin Narrows. It was heartening news we were not that far behind, even with having been out of the race for 40 hours. We had retired anyway, but the sailing was good, and the experience of the heavy weather was of great value. At 2 am the wind began to head us, so we put on the motor for the last 30 miles. The scenery was beautiful, and at 9 am Saturday morning, we came alongside at Corpach, the entrance to the Caledonian Canal. Some of the competitors came down to see us - some a little surprised - but we had finished it all the way. The passage crew were very pleased to see us. They had not expected us to arrive much before 10 pm that evening.

The four of us were feeling quite elated as we had made it in a fast time for the passage from Workington to Fort William, a distance of 209 miles in 36 hours of hard sailing in bad weather, and in an area totally unknown to us. We were happy. Tony and Jan arrived about 10.30 and brought a bottle of sparkling wine for us to open. The job of getting the ship clean to hand over to the passage crew, under Peter FUCHTER began in earnest and by noon Peter and his crew had started to take over, and were able to leave that afternoon. The crew and I moved into Bed and Breakfast in Corpach for the night, so that we could be ready for the long ride home on Sunday.

Trog and Spike had run Ben Nevis. So we had two runs go up. But not to be outdone, Keith and John wanted to make the ascent also. So Larry and I took them to the base of the mountain by car - and off they went. We returned to the house, bathed, changed and then went out picked them both up. So the Met. did Ben Nevis twice, and completed the course. What is more - we are coming back again in 1983!

This race gets deep under your skin. They say you have to be a little mad, but I don't agree. In all of us there is a little which makes us adventurers at heart - like Englishmen through the ages. We have learnt a lot, and I hope the Force will continue to enter this event for many years to come. We have entered for the 1983 Three Peaks Race, and with a 35 foot tri-maran with a shallow draft, and only the outboard motor to go wrong. I shall take a spare propeller!


- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -


It is hoped this year to man one of the boats taking part in the Tall Ships Race completely with policemen. There are 10 crewing places available. There will be roughly two weeks sailing, with the actual race commencing on the 21st July. The cost will be a little under 300. So if you are young, fit and looking for a holiday with a difference, then why not give it a go. No previous experience is necessary. The ships will be sailing to Denmark.

If you really are interested, then contact Stephen Hayes at SW ( tel No. ) or WPC Lesley Goddard at XU. It is a chance in a lifetime!

You can find out more about it if you are going to the Fitting Out Supper on 23rd March, at the Swan Public House, Hammersmith Broadway. You can get a three course meal and a glass of port wine for 5. Further details from Lesley Goddard (XU) The shin-dig starts at 7-30 for 8 pm.

page 9


The Nottinghamshire Police Open was held on the 6th September 1982, at Retford Argonauts Sailing Club; Newark, Notts.

The weather was fine, but the wind was light. There was however enough wind at all times for the boats to maintain momentum.

The attendance was a little down on last year, with 15 boats present from 6 Forces.

In the first race the wind swung soon after the start, and the spinnaker boats found that they could no longer fly their kites to any effect on the reaching leg. The Lasers revelled in these conditions, finishing first, second and third. Roger Glass, in the Met Laser, showed his superior boat speed by beating the Notts Laser of Pete Walters by a considerable distance.

The second race saw the International 14 of Simon Gathercole, Notts, take an early lead followed by the Nottingham Merlin Rocket of John Neaverson and John Allen, then the usual cluster of Lasers. Roger Glass soon came into contention, working his way through the alleged faster boats, but he could not quite catch the Inter. 14, which took line honours. When the handicaps were worked out, Roger Glass had again won by a convincing margin, with the Laser of Pete Walters second, and the Inter.14 third.

The third race proved the most frustrating to Roger Glass. He had won the event already and, as the wind strength was decreasing even less, he decided not to sail. He could not make an early start back to the Smoke (sorry - the Met) as the prizes were not due to be presented till 5-30 pm.

Back on the water the dying wind suited the Enterprise of Rod Bramhall (Manchester) who had been in the leading pack all day. Simon Gathercole's 14 again took the gun, but on corrected time was third, with Rod first, and the Laser of Geoff Norman second.

Final Placings of First Six Boats.

1st Roger Glass Met 1 1 DNS Laser
2nd Pete Walters Notts 2 2 5 Laser
3rd Rod Bramhall Gtr Manchester 4 6 1 Enterprise
4th Geoff Norman Notts 3 4 2 Laser
5th Simon Gathercole Notts 9 3 3 International 14
6th John Neaverson Notts 5 5 4 Merlin Rocket


- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -

page 10


The 1982 Kent Police Open Meeting was held on Thursday 16th September at what has become the regular venue, Hampton Pier Sailing Club, Herne Bay. The Race Officer was Mr G. Martin. The weather started off with an early morning mist, but that cleared to give a warm, sunny day, with a steady easterly breeze between force 2 and 3. There were only two races held, because of the difficulties with the tide, and they were both over triangular courses.

The turnout was very poor, with only 11 'police boats' participating. 6 of those were from the host Force, 4 were from the Met, and the other one was from Sussex. There were 5 other boats taking part in the races. They were from the local sailing club, and had been invited to take part by the Kent Police, who had put up a special prize for the leading boat amongst them.

This event was won by Dave Sinnock. He and his crew, Martin Fry, were sailing a very fast Albacore and they were unbeatable.

The second and third prizes went to the M.P.S.C. in the form of those two well known Laser sailors, Roger Glass and Ross Elliston. Roger has been in very good form all this year, and this meeting was no exception. Roger was sailing a new boat. Ross, still holding onto his faithful old Laser, came a good 3rd, even though he capsized once.

Alan Gimes, who normally sails single handed boats, came 4th, sailing an Albacore with his wife, Penelope.

Dave Abbott and Leslie Goddard were sailing a very fast Enterprise called NO PROBLEM. It is very stiff and well down to weight, so much so that it had to have 8 lbs of lead fitted as correctors. It is about one year old. They were ahead of most of the Lasers for most of the time.

Charlie Jordan was sailing his familiar old Phantom, but for some reason arrived rather late for the first race, and then retired. So that retirement let him down in the prize list. He did well in the second race and came 3rd. He was 6th overall.

Brian Gimes, the brother of Allan, won the Hampton Pier invitation prize.


1st Sinnock/Fry Albacore 7145 Kent


2nd R Glass Laser 102722 Metro 2 2 = 4
3rd R Elliston Laser 75119 Metro 3 4 = 7
4th A & P Gimes Albacore 7144 Kent 4 5 = 9
5th Gooch/Bishop Albacore 442 Metro 5 7 = 12
6th C Jordan Phantom 799 Kent 11R 3 = 14
7th D Gifford Laser 57910 Kent 8 6 = 14
8th Bruce/Cousens Albacore 7152 Kent 6 8 = 14
9th Abbott/Goddard Enterprise 20383 Metro 7 10 = 17
10th H Moxom Topper 8806 Kent 11 9 = 20
11th Albrow/Robinson Graduate 2526 Sussex 9 11 = 20


page 11




Boat No Name Force 1st 2nd 3rd Points Place
88955 G Owen Merseyside 3 1 1
102722 R Glass Metro 2 2 2 2
78377 M Riley Devon & Cornwall 2 7 4 6 3
43330 G Norman Notts 4 3 11 7 4
75245 D Westall S Wales 6 5 3 8 5
75119 R Elliston Metro 5 4 6 9 6
56240 J Nelson GMP 7 12 5 12 7
102559 N Jackson Notts 9 6 7 13 8
72570 P Skerman Sussex 8 10 10 18 9
5 R Sivers Northants 10 8 15 18 10
35474 G Ford Leics 11 14 8 19 11
46242 M Hudson GMP 12 15 9 21 12
88687 B Selby N Yorks 13 9 15 22 13
32531 N Woolger Sussex 15 11 12 23 14
85068 F Coppenhall Cambs 14 13 13 26 15

The championships this year were held on 22nd September, at Middle Nene Sailing Club, Thrapston, Northants, and hosted by the Northants Police, under the control of Dick Sivers. 15 Lasers from 11 different Forces took part. The event was organised to the last detail, and even included films and organised games, such as darts competitions, which even the Chief Constable of Northants could not resist staying the evening for.

The wind conditions for the day started calm to light, and progressed to light, but at least it did not rain. In the first race Riley and Glass made the windward mark first, and managed to break from the fleet for the remainder of the race, with Riley in lead for the most part, until fate played its hand and Riley capsized on a wind shift whilst running in to the final mark. Glass, who was only feet away at the time, seized the opportunity to go through and win. Elliston lead the remainder of the fleet for the first half of the race, closely pursued by Owen, Norman and Westall. Finally, Owen pushed through to third place and looked set to hold it. Again on the same fateful run into the last mark, Elliston and Norman started to
challenge Owen. However, Owen was more fortunate and pulled away to take third place. Elliston, still under pressure from Norman and Westall, struggled on ahead only to be pipped on the line by Norman. Sivers, the Goliath from Northants, managed to fall off the deck of his Laser in the light winds and capsized. Westall suffered the same fate, but through his countless experiences of light wind capsizing (!) lost no places.

In the second race Owen, who is not used to being beaten in his Laser by other policemen, showed his true form, made a good start and went straight into the lead, a position he maintained throughout. The course this time consisted of sailing through either of the navigable channels created through the underwater wall which runs across the lake. Everybody went through the same gate on the beat up, but on the run back Riley and Sivers, who were in second and third places, foolishly decided to follow the leader, and they in turn were followed by almost all of the fleet. Owen got through alright, but Riley and Sivers came to a standstill on the approach

page 12

approach /
to the gate and were caught up by the rest of the fleet. However, Glass and Elliston split from the fleet and went downwind to the other gate and found more wind, and they managed to push through to second and third places respectively. Elliston then challenged Glass for second place throughout the remainder of the race until, in the final 50 yards, Elliston was again pipped at the post by Norman. Westall sailed a good race an, after a poor start, made his way up to 5th place - and did not capsize.

In the last race Owen and Riley were over the line at the start. Jackson did not miss the opportunity of forging ahead into the lead. At this stage, Riley, Glass and Owen could win the title, but none were in any sort of position at all, and in fact all three were behind the Laser of B Selby from North Yorkshire -
a woman ! Owen carved his way through the fleet followed by Glass. Again, which gate one took was a gamble. The positions by then were Owen, Selby, Riley and then Westall. Glass, Nelson and Elliston again cashed in on the downwind gate which pulled Glass through to second place, followed by Westall and then Nelson, who later lost his position to Riley. These positions remained static for the latter part of the race.


- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -




Boat No Class Name Force 1st 2nd 3rd Points Place
88955 Laser G Owen Mersey 1 1
43330 Laser G Norman Notts 14 2 3 5 2
5 Laser R Sivers Northants 2 4 7 6 3
102722 Laser R Glass Met 3 rtd 4 7 4
10932 Enterprise R Bramhall GMP 6 11 2 8 5
75245 Laser D Westall S Wales 8 3 6 9 6
78377 Laser M Riley D & C 5 5 5 10 7
3350 Solo C Lambert Beds 4 7 8 11 8
56240 Laser J Nelson GMP 10 6 9 15 9
43150 Mirror D Coleman Met 7 10 10 17 10
72570 Laser P Skerman Sussex 15 8 11 19 11
2198 Solo B Hudson Herts 11 9 13 20 12
32531 Laser N Woolger Sussex 9 12 16 21 13
88687 Laser B Selby N Yorks 12 14 13 25 14
6907 Enterprise R Fosberry Leics 13 13 dns 26 15
85068 Laser J Coppenhall Cambs 16 rtd 12 28 16
46242 Laser G Hudson GMP 17 16 14 30 17
2905 M Rocket J Neaverson Notts 19 15 dns 34 18
13608 Topper C Snow Beds 18 17 dns 35 19

The event this year was held at the Middle Nene Sailing Club, Thrapston, Northants, on 23rd September 1982, the day after the British Police Laser Nationals. Not surprisingly, there was a good Laser turnout, but other classes did attend, in

page 13

attend, in/

the form of Merlin Rocket, Enterprise, Solo, Topper and Mirror.

The conditions had changed drastically from the previous day, and became gusty and changeable in direction, sometimes gusting up to about Force 4, but staying at a respectable strength all day.

In the first race Dick Sivers was determined to show us that his previous day's performance was not his norm, and stormed off from the start followed by Derek Westall, showing us all the recent neck injury was well on the mend. On the beat up through the narrow channels at Thrapston, Gareth Owen and Roger Glass started to show their skill, forging through the fleet. Rod Bramhall, in his Enterprise, was also going well in an effort to make sure it was not just a Laser day. He was not alone in his efforts, joined by Chris Lambert, who also showed good form. Derek Coleman sailed his Mirror well to its handicap, although not at the front, finishing 7th overall, which is no mean achievement singlehanded.

In the second race Derek Westall again showed his form, going well into the lead at the beginning, with Glass and Owen both over the line at the start. Owen forged his way through the fleet despite this, to take the lead, pursued by Geoff Norman (or was he being towed by Owen ?) and they both went through Westall. Dick Sivers again showed his better sailing to finish 4th. The race was dominated by the Lasers, in a race which varied from torrential rain with no wind, to gusts of Force 5, which found many out, including Derek Coleman who viewed the hull of his boat (for inspection purposes only !) several times during the race.

The third race was mainly light, flukey winds, which suited Rod Bramhall in the Enterprise, who made a good start and it was not for some time that Owen got trough him for the hat-trick, but Bramhall kept him under pressure to the last. Geoff Norman showed good form pursued by Glass and Riley, who spent most of the day together arguing on the water and making it up in the bar ! Westall and Sivers seemed to pair up in this race, happily chatting about what a good day it had been (and no doubt, how much they had to drink at Dick's house !) Chris Lambert came through as well, but flukey conditions did not suit him.


- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -




Laser 107116 M Riley D & C 3 1 1st
Laser 102722 R Glass Met 2 2 2 4 2nd
Laser 58010 C Acton S Wales 4 4 4 3rd
Laser 5 R Sivers Northants 3 4 5 7 4th
Enterprise 10932 R Bramhall GMP 7 5 3 8 5th
Laser 3 S Robert S Wales 5 6 6 11 6th
Laser 56240 J Nelson GMP 6 7 9 13 7th
Solo 2391 M Jones S Wales 8 8 7 15 8th
Miracle 336 J Williams S Wales 9 9 8 17 9th
Laser 75245 D Westall S Wales 11R 11R dns 22 10th

page 14


This year's event was again held at the British Steel Corporation Sailing Club, Margam, South Wales. Thankfully it was not as windy as the previous year when Len Gooch sailed his Albacore with only the mainsail for some of the races. The wind was about 3 to 4, but was dominated by the Lasers again, with only three other classes represented.

The first race was lead by Glass at the start, but following in the footsteps of the great Stan Batten (Yes, you guessed !) he sailed for the wrong mark, letting Riley through, with Dick Sivers keeping them both under pressure in the marginal planing conditions. Derek Westall, last year's winner, was relegated to 4th. Nobody wanted to see him win the superb and very appropriate, miners' lamp again!

The second race was again lead by Riley, Westall, Glass and Sivers, but Rod Bramhall, who was recovering from his long journey down from Manchester that morning, started to come through. The first four changed places constantly, but Westall managed to show his skill on his home water at the end and win.

In the last race Riley was determined to show us the 900 he had spent on his new Laser was going to be of benefit, and he did, with Glass following him round all the way, making a few unsuccessful challenges and waiting for Riley to make a mistake, which he didn't. Rod Bramhall had woken up at last and forged on behind the two leading Lasers, keeping Westall and Sivers behind him all the way to finish 3rd.

Conclusion :- Riley won the Miner's Lamp, but has anyone a mine for him ?


- - - - - - - - - -oooo0oooo- - - - - - - - - -



April 20th Lancashire Police Open Rossendale Valley S.C.
  28th West Midlands Open Chasewater SC
May 27th JOG Deauville Race  
June 1st Metropolitan Police Open Queen Mary SC
  10th JOG Cherbourg Race  
  18th Three Peaks Race & Round Island Race  
  23rd Leicestershire Police Open Rutland SC
July 8th RORC St Malo Race  
  20th South Yorkshire Police Open Ogston Reservoir
  20/21 Dorset Police Open Poole YC
  21st Tall Ships Race  
August 6th RORC Fastnet Race  
  26th JOG Guernsey Race  
September 11th Round the Isle of Sheppey Race Sheppey YC, Sheerness
  24/25 PAA National Dinghy Sailing Championships Exmouth SC
  ? Sussex Police Open Bexhill SC
October ? Sussex Pursuit Race Cobnor, Chichester Harbour

page 15



Click here to view content from the March, 1981 "Gybe Oh" magazine

Click here to view content from the November, 1981 "Gybe Oh" magazine

Click here to view content from the Spring, 1982 "Gybe Oh" magazine

Click here to view content from the Autumn, 1982 "Gybe Oh" magazine

here to view content from the March, 1983 "Gybe Oh" magazine

Click here to view content from the Autumn, 1983 "Gybe Oh" magazine

Click here to view content from the Summer, 1984 "Gybe Oh" magazine



If anyone has a hard copy of this or other old MPSC 'Gybe Oh' newsletters, please contact 'Barnacle Bill'.

Grateful thanks to C Jordan for supplying the above newsletter content.

Newsletter scanned December 2011